Vienna City Hall Courtyard Addition
For cultural events at the City Hall courtyard a flexible “travelling“ roof - one that could be opened and closed according to event, weather, or the time of year - was erected over an area of 1000 m² in the eastern part of the arcade courtyard. The following design criteria were decisive: consideration of the historic building (built by Friedrich v. Schmidt 1872-1884), the creation of a simple construction without columns under the roof, general economy, as well as an overall contemporary spatial effect in the arcade courtyard as whole.
The innovative design was one of the first membrane roofs of a linear folding procedure, rather than radial expansion. The fish-belly trusses utilized bypass tension forces and minimize the edge forces, since the structure is rigid within itself. Brackets on the courtyard’s lateral sides carry a horizontal edge beam, to which a track is fixed. This novel solution reduced the roof’s impact on the historical building. The opening and closing of the membrane along this track takes a mere five minutes. The folds of the membrane allow unencumbered view of the arcade facade, retaining its shape due to a ridge/valley cables which connect to the system’s discreet steel supports. The membrane’s smooth material is a translucent polyester textile that is also particle-resistant, ensuring a lasting aesthetic effect. The roof’s dynamic, wave-like design also creates optimal sound distribution beneath the canopy for musical events.
- Friedrich-Schmidt-Platz 1, 1010 Wien, Austria
- Architekten Tillner & Willinger, Wien, Silja Tillner, Wien
- Cooperation Architecture:
- Christopher Lottersberger
- Structural Engineering:
- sbp, Bergermann Rudolf
- End of Construction:
- Building Costs:
- 580.000,- EUR